The PSL Cookie {and a Book Review}

How many cookie cutters do I have? Well I haven't bothered counting, lets just say that I have too many and my collection is ever growing! My friend JUST sent me a care package full of cookie cutters!


One day I decided to start using cookie cutters from my collection and not just hoarding them. And of course I set out to find ideas in the bloggersphere. Which is when I came across Bridget of Bake at 350. She has the cutest and most creative ideas, and using her tutorials I slowly learnt and gained confidence in baking and decorating cookies!


So when I was sent a copy of her latest cookie decorating book, Decorating Cookies Party to review, I was so excited! But given my super busy schedule with school, I skipped the decorating stage, and just used multiple cookie cutters. It was just as much fun baking them! (Note: I did play around with the recipe a tad bit by adding pumpkin emulsion, cause how could I not!)


Each and everyone of her cookie designs are awesome and the tutorials are so easy to follow, that you can recreate them very easily! I had to take a snap of the football cookies, cause we all know my about my obsession with football.


And with a little modification, wouldn't these cookies be perfect for the upcoming release of Mocking Jay!


I'm so excited about winter break coming up and being able to spend more time in the kitchen baking and decorating!


The PSL Cookies
Recipe adapted from Decorating Cookies Party, by Bridget of Bake at 350

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp all spice
1/8 tsp cloves
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into chucks
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp pumpkin emulsion

Method
1. Prepare 2-3 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper (don't use wax paper, there is a difference!)
2. Add the butter chucks to a large mixer bowl and beat in the sugar, till it is a smooth mixture.
3. Add the egg and pumpkin emulsion to the mixture and beat for 1-2 mins, scraping the bowl when done.
4. Finally add the flour, baking powder and spices. Beat until just combined.
5. Roll out between two sheets of wax paper and cut using cutter of your choice. Transfer to prepared cookie sheet.
6. Once a cookie sheet to full, place it in the freezer for 10-15 mins (this ensures that the cookie maintain their shape while baking).
7. Preheat the oven to 350*F and bake each tray for 10-12 mins (time varies depending on oven and how long the tray was in the freezer).
8. Decorate if you wish or enjoy immediately!

Enjoy!
Farhana  

2 comments:

Thanks for reading my blog!