Sun-dried Tomato Hummus and Herb Pita Chips {and a Book Review}

"There are no shortcuts to any where worth going to." Yet we all love taking shortcuts. I do it all the time in the kitchen with canned sauces, frozen herbs cubes and till a while back HUMMUS.


Then just over a year ago my husband got me the food grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid, and while flipping through the user manual I found a recipe for hummus. I headed to my pantry and found that I have all the ingredients at hand (my shortcut was using store bought tahini, but if you want to make your own I would recommend using this recipe from With a Spin).


I was so impressed with the taste, that I started experimenting with multiple flavors and the possibilities were endless! I love the fact that it stayed well in the fridge just as long as the store bought one (just remember to bring it to room temperature before serving). So when I saw a hummus recipe in Party Food for Girls by Mindy Cone from Creative Juice. I first came across Mindy, when I started making macarons. She has really awesome ideas! So obviously I was over the moon when I got a chance to review of her book!


The title of the book might have "girls" in it, but there is nothing girly about the recipes! They can be used at any party with any theme. There are so many "not sweet" items that I want to try out! It was hard to choose only one to share with all of you, so I chose two! You can't serve hummus with out some pita chips!


I make this hummus in the food processor attachment on my new Ninja, as it blends the sun-dried tomatoes better than the Kitchen Aid attachment. Also when blending add the water, a couple of tablespoons at a time as everyone likes a different consistency. Another shortcut is using store bought pita bread, if you make your own please share your recipe :).


Sundried Tomato Hummus and Herb Pita Chips
Recipe adapted from Party Food for Girls, by Mindy from Creative Juice

Ingredients
For Hummus
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
1 1/2 Tbsp Tahini
1 medium lemon, zest and juice
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
2 Tbsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 - 1/2 cup water

For Pita Chips
4 pita breads, cut into quarters or eighths depending on size
olive oil for brushing (~1/4 cup)
any combination of dry herbs and spices from : rosemary, garlic powder, parsley, oregano, onion powder, salt, and pepper

Method
For Hummus
1. Place all ingredients expect water in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add water to adjust consistency.

For Pita Chips
1. Preheat oven to 400*F
2. Arrange the pita pieces in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Brush olive oil on to the pita bread. Then sprinkle the spice mix.
3. Bake for 7-10 mins, till the chips are crispy.

Enjoy!
Farhana  

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!