The Fruit Pizza {and a Book Review}

Been a while since I posted a recipe. Seeing as this started off as a baking blog, one would expect their to be some desserts showing up once in a while. But as I mentioned in many a posts before, its been rough with all the school work. We even had to cancel our mini road trip this past weekend cause someone didn't start their HW on time!


I don't know about you, but here in the NW I think that spring is here to stay. Not that I hate winter or anything, but spring means that summer is around the corner, and I am so excited for this summer! What your favorite thing about the warmer days? For me its all the fresh fruit! I love desserts with fresh fruits on them, not so much in them though! I made a Berry Tart last year, and cannot wait to recreate that with some different fruits.


In the meanwhile, I finally (successfully) made fruit pizza! Its so easy, I really don't know why it took me so long to figure it out! I really love the fact that you can play around with the fruits change up the looks. I see a seahawks/sounders themed one coming soon!


I like this as much as my husband doesn't. Let's say I'll be working on a chocolate version too! Already have a few recipes bookmarked! Saying it again, waiting for summer and a ton of free time to bake and craft!


Shout out to my friend, Ling Ling for coming over and taking some awesome pictures and her cute daughter Ellie for being my assistant.


Now let's go back get back to the recipe. Thanks to Dorothy from Crazy for Crust's new book, Dessert Mashups I now have a go to "pizza base". Unfortunately her frosting or "pizza sauce" was a little to sweet for me, so I got the frosting recipe from Skinny Taste, my go to for "healthier" options! Dessert Mashups is such a fun book with where you can find recipes that include a few of your favorites recipe in one dessert! (Follow along as I see my self sharing more recipes from this book!)


I baked up this goodness on Bangladeshi New Years, Pohela Boishakh and stuck with strawberries and kiwis as I wanted a green and red theme. I just never posted the recipe on time, so how about I just remind you next year!


The Fruit Pizza
Recipe Adapted from Dessert Mashups and Skinny Taste

Ingredients
for Pizza base
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cream of tartar
2 cups all purpose flour

for Frosting
8 oz cream cheese (full fat)
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract

lemon curd (I use Trader Joe's)
thinly sliced fruits of choice (strawberries, kiwis, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, mango, oranges)

Method
For Pizza base
1. Preheat oven to 350*F and spray a 12 inch round pizza pan with baking spray.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together, until the mixture is a pale yellow color. Then add in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
3. Add in the dry ingredients, and continue beating until just combined.
4. Pour the batter onto the prepared pan, the batter will be soft, so greasing your hands will help to spread the batter onto the pan.
5. Bake for 11-13 mins, until the edges start to slightly brown.
6. Let the cookie/pizza cool completely while you prepare the frosting.

For the Frosting
1. Beat together all the ingredients until well combined and fluffy.
2. If the mixture is too think, you can thin it down using a few drops of milk (any fat content)

To Assemble
1. Using a spatula, spread a thin layer of lemon curd on to the cookie/pizza.
2. Next, spread all the frosting onto the cookie, spreading evenly all over.
3. Decorate with sliced/chopped fruit.

Enjoy!
Farhana

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!