The Simplest Chocolate Layer Cake

Yay to not taking a month to post a dessert recipe! Its really sad how little time I get to spend in the kitchen these days, and what ever time I do get I end up spending cooking/meal prepping for the week. Well more like the next 7 days ahead. Till June, there is no separation between weekends and weekdays, there is only HW due tomorrow and not due tomorrow days. Its all about coding and presentations. But the fact that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel makes it a tad bit easier.


After a really rough week, I had got to spend a ton of time in the kitchen, and I managed to bake a cake. A layer cake for that matter. One of my favorite baking blogger's is Erica Sweet Tooth and she uses 6 inch pans, ALOT. That's when I thought to myself, what if I do the same, that why we won't have cake to last us month and I'll get practice with my layer cakes.


I also thought of naming this cake, the triple chocolate cake, but then decided to go with layer, cause when do I ever bake a layer cake! Yep triple! There is dark cocoa powder in the cake, nutella filling and whipped cream flavored with instant chocolate pudding.


So learnt something new when I went home for spring break this year, you can sweeten/flavor plain whipped cream using instant pudding. So of course I came back with a few packs. Try it with your local brand, it probably won't be that different and let me know! Life is all about experiments, right?


The Simplest Chocolate Layer Cake
Adapted from an odd family recipe. 
Ingredients
For the cake 
3 eggs, separated
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder (I use Hersey's)
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence

For the frosting
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tbsp instant chocolate pudding

Nutella, melted in the microwave for 7-12 secs

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350*F and grease two 6 inch round pans.
  2. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl, until stiff. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
  3. Mix the cocoa powder and water until the mixture is smooth.
  4. Beat the egg yolk and the sugar (you can use the same mixture bowl as the egg white, no need to wash it), until the mixture is a pale yellow and light and fluffy.
  5. Add in the oil and vanilla extract and continue mixing.
  6. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
  7. Using a rubber spatula fold in the beaten egg whites into batter. Fold until the mixture is just combined. Over folding will deflate the air, and the cake will not rise as much. 
  8. Split the batter into the two pans and bake for 20-25 mins until a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean.
  9. While the cakes cool on a wire rack, beat the whipped cream with the instant chocolate pudding powder in a chilled bowl.
  10. To assemble the cake, fill the center with Nutella and then using a spatula cover the entire cake with whipped cream. Add sprinkles if you like.

Enjoy!
Farhana

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!